The “ABCD” tool is an implementation of the Framework for Strategic Sustainable Development.
- A(1): Awareness of the system
- A(2): Visioning
- B: Baseline assessment
- C: Brainstorming of possible actions
- D: Prioritization of actions
Implicit in this planning process is the idea of “backcasting,” i.e. imagining an envisioned future in a way that disconnects with current trends.
The prioritization step includes three guiding questions:
- Does the action move in the right direction, i.e. towards sustainability
- Is the action a flexible platform, i.e is it NOT a “blind alley”?
- Does it offer a return on investment, i.e. will it provide resources for us to continue after we have implemented this action?