From lean thinking…
- Sort: Clearly distinguish what is necessary from what is not. Remove what does not support an organized and visual workplace.
- Simplify: Ensure everything required to do the task has a visually designated location, is available, is functional. Also – can easily be seen, reached, and returned in the order used. Mark / label locations clearly.
- Sweep: Keep the work area, tools, and equipment organized, repaired, and visually marked.
- Standardize: Maintain and improve the above 3Ss. Establish procedures so storage and cleaning actions are consistently applied by every0ne.
- Sustain: Achieve the discipline / habit of following standard procedures. Use the standards as a place to start again.